Doctor of Nursing Practice
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The 39-credit hour online DNP program prepares advanced practice registered nurses to lead the way in enhancing the quality and safety of the nation’s health care delivery systems. The program is offered on a part- or full-time basis and addresses the most contemporary aspects of expert clinical practice and offers in-depth knowledge on leadership, health care systems design and evaluation with an emphasis on evidence-based practice and applied research.
Full-time students can complete the DNP program entirely online in as few as seven semesters. As you progress from course to course, you will:
- Solidify your knowledge of patient care delivery through the application of clinical scholarship. The program requires a minimum of 1,000 clinical hours to meet specific DNP competencies. Clinical hours from your completed MSN program are included in the total clinical hour count.
- Enhance your management skills through course work in organizational leadership, business plan utilization and inter-professional collaboration.
- Apply the principles of illness prevention and health maintenance to provide better patient outcomes and improve the quality of care delivered to diverse populations.
The final requirement of the DNP program consists of a rigorous dissertation and residency experience that demonstrates your ability to translate scientific research into evidence-based, client-centered health care practice.
Upon successful completion of the DNP program requirements, graduates will demonstrate excellence in:
- leading interdisciplinary teams;
- translating research to patient-centered practice;
- and implementing evidence-based change to promote quality health care outcomes at the highest level.
Earning Your Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Degree
Students enrolling in the Clarkson College Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program must first successfully complete a Master’s degree in Nursing (MSN) program. This prior educational, clinical and professional experience will prepare you for the coursework and competencies required at the doctoral level.
Clarkson College has received back-to-back top rankings (2012 & 2013) by U.S. News & World Report in the category of Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs. Our 100 percent online RN–MSN option is designed for registered nurses who hold an Associate’s degree and are wishing to advance their nursing education. Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) are able to begin at the Master’s degree level and select from five specialty areas of study. Clarkson College MSN programs are offered online with the exception of the Nurse Anesthesia option and the requirement of Nurse Practitioner students to complete minimal on-campus visits for competency validations.