OneDrive - Frequently Asked Questions
OneDrive for Business is a part of Office 365 and Office 365 ProPlus
The documents you place on your OneDrive for Business are only available to you, unless you decide to share them with others with the college.
What you should know about your OneDrive for Business
- This is a cloud storage solution where the data is stored off-site in the United States.
- While it meets the College security requirements, one should still use caution in the type of data stored as well as with whom the data is shared.
- Deleted documents are available for 90 days in the recycle bin and then they are deleted permanently.
- IT cannot recover permanently deleted documents.
- The first time you access OneDrive, the system will need to provision your storage. This is done every hour, on the hour. For example, if you opened OneDrive for the first time at 3:16 p.m., your OneDrive storage would get provisioned and be available at 4 p.m.
Click “Next” to start the provisioning process.
Check back at the top of the hour to see if the provisioning process has completed.
When complete, you will see this screen:
- How to Use One Drive for Business (Video and Documentation from Microsoft)
- While logged in to One Drive for Business, click the “?” in the upper right-hand corner of the page. This is where the product documentation is maintained.
- Other training and how to instructions are available by searching the Microsoft site.
What is OneDrive for Business and how do I get started? How do I get OneDrive for Business?
- Microsoft OneDrive for Business is Clarkson College’s cloud based document storage solution. It works similar to Drop Box or Google Docs.
- All active Clarkson College employees and enrolled students have access to OneDrive for Business.
How much disk space do I get on OneDrive?
Everyone receives (1) Terabyte of document storage.
Can drive space be increased?
No. Microsoft has no mechanism to increase OneDrive space.
Where is the data stored?
This is a ‘cloud’ storage solution where data is stored off-site in the United States.
Is my data backed up?
No. Deleted files are moved to a Recycle bin and can be retrieved within 90 days.
Are there any options for an initial bulk uploading of files?
No, although multiple files can be moved at one time by clicking and dragging them to OneDrive for Business.
Can I access OneDrive from my Android Device?
Yes, Read more.
Will new employees be setup with OneDrive instead of with personals space on the file server (M, N, drives)?
Both options will be setup at this time. OneDrive is not intended to completely replace file shares.
Can I map a drive letter to my OneDrive?
Not at this time. This may be an option in the future though.
How do I tell who I have shared a document with?
Highlight the file name and select the "group" symbol (looks like 3 users). You can see who you have shared a file with from here. You can also click the 3 dots next to the file name and it will open up "Share with" section.
Can OneDrive do real-time online collaboration?
Yes, OneDrive can do real-time online collaboration. You have to open the document in Office Web Apps. In the upper right hand corner, you will see when someone is also editing the file. You will see a flag while the other person is typing.
Can I create a new document in the browser?
Yes, you can create a new document by clicking on "new document" in the main area of your document repository. It will automatically use Office Web Apps to create the document. You can switch to using your "full" Office application (e.g. Word) by going to the File menu and click on "open in Word". This will give you the full functionality of your local Office apps.
Is it possible to view my documents in a “Windows Explorer” format if that is more convenient for me to drag and drop files?
Yes, at the Home Screen click ‘Library” (upper left side). That will open the ‘ribbon’. Click the “Open with Explore” button.
What file types cannot be uploaded to OneDrive for Business?
Notably .exe and .shtm. Visit Microsoft for a complete list.
What characters cannot be used in OneDrive?
Invalid file or folder name characters in OneDrive for Business on Office 365 include % * : < > ? / \ | Visit Microsoft for a complete list.