Gateway to Success Minority Nursing Scholarship
Clarkson College has one of the finest nursing programs in the region. Together with Nebraska Medicine, the College has trained generations of experienced, well-qualified nurses to provide exceptional care to people in the Midlands. Both organizations are committed to increasing the opportunities for minority students to succeed in the growing, dynamic field of nursing.
The Gateway to Success Minority Nursing Scholarship has been generously funded by Clarkson Regional Health Services and Nebraska Medicine to support a select number of minority students each year. Each scholarship is worth $10,000 per academic year and is awarded for four years, provided recipients continue to meet the requirements. Each scholarship includes a summer work internship at Nebraska Medicine, which provides $5,000 in additional funds.
Scholarship candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a racial minority student (Hispanic, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander).
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for employment at Nebraska Medicine.
- Must have at least 2.5 GPA on 4.0 scale from high school or previous college.
- Must plan to enroll full-time at Clarkson College in the Nursing program, earning a Bachelor's degree upon graduation.
- Must successfully complete summer internship program at Nebraska Medicine.
- Maintain 2.5 GPA for scholarship renewal.
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Gateway to Success Scholarship Committee after the deadline of March 15. The Selection Committee will invite top applicants to the Clarkson College campus for an interview.
The scholarship money will be divided as follows:
- A total of $5,000 will be applied to the fall semester.
- A total of $5,000 will be applied to the spring semester.
- Students will be paid a total of $5,000 upon successful completion of the 12-week summer internship program at Nebraska Medicine.
Scholarship money will be credited first to the recipient's Clarkson College student account to cover educational expenses (such expenses include tuition, fees and Residence Hall rent). If scholarship money remains after covering all expenses, it will be dispersed to the student.
The Gateway to Success Minority Nursing Scholarship is renewable for four years as long as the following criteria are met:
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average at Clarkson College.
- Maintain full-time (at least 12 credit hours) enrollment in each fall and spring semester. Summer enrollment is not covered by the scholarship.
- Meet the eligibility requirements for hire at Nebraska Medicine, including a criminal background check and drug screen.
- Continue to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from Clarkson College and be actively enrolled in nursing major courses.
- Students are recommended, but not required to complete an updated FAFSA form prior to the beginning of each academic year.
Failure to meet any of the above criteria may lead to the cancellation of the scholarship.
Summer Internship Program
Complete the 12-week, 240 clock hour summer internship program at Nebraska Medicine following the first year on the Gateway Scholarship. Students are not eligible for the summer internship until having successfully completed, courses NS 233/234. Students completing the summer internship are not able to concurrently take summer nursing clinical courses. After the first summer, participation in the internship experience is strongly encouraged for the following summers. A total of $5,000 is paid directly to the student upon successful completion of the summer internship program at Nebraska Medicine. Funds are subject to employment taxes.
Clarkson College Admissions Office
101 South 42nd Street
Omaha, NE 68131-2739
PH 402.552.3100 TF 800.647.5500 FX 402.552.6165